PPC advertising is an essential part of your digital marketing strategy to drive traffic to your website and generate leads. However, with hundreds of settings you may soon learn that managing PPC campaigns can be time-consuming and complex.
This is especially true for small businesses, marketing directors, and marketing agency owners who may struggle to find and retain in-house talent with the necessary skills and expertise.
In this blog post, we’ll explore PPC outsourcing, how it works, and the benefits it can offer your business, clients, and stakeholders.
What is PPC outsourcing?
PPC outsourcing is when you hire an external company or agency to handle your Pay-Per-Click (PPC) advertising campaigns for you. This can include keyword research, ad creation, campaign management, and performance analysis.
You can outsource any PPC campaign, whether you want to outsource Google Ads management, Google Display Ads, Facebook Ads, or YouTube ads; if you can run paid campaigns on it, then you can outsource it to a professional outsource PPC agency.
Outsourcing PPC marketing is a common practice that many businesses use to address their digital advertising needs. In fact, according to a recent study by Clutch, over 83% of businesses will increase their spending on outsourced business services in 2023.
By outsourcing your PPC marketing needs, you can save time and money that you would otherwise spend on hiring and training an in-house team. Additionally, you’ll have access to a team of experienced professionals knowledgeable about the latest PPC trends and strategies, ensuring that your campaigns are practical and efficient.
Who outsources PPC marketing?
As discussed in the previous section, outsourcing PPC management is a common practice among all types of businesses.
Let’s look specifically at why small business owners, marketing directors, and marketing agency owners use specialized digital marketing agencies to handle their PPC marketing services.
Small business owners
Small business owners with limited budgets and time constraints can benefit from outsourcing their PPC marketing needs because it allows them to work with experienced professionals who can help them get more bang for their digital marketing buck.
Outsourcing PPC management to a PPC expert gives you access to the tools and knowledge needed to optimize campaigns for maximum ROI.
Additionally, outsourcing frees up time for small business owners to focus on other aspects of their business, such as customer service and product development. Outsourcing PPC management to a digital marketing agency is a win-win for small business owners because they can get the desired results at a price they can afford while saving time in the process!
Marketing directors who struggle to find, hire, and retain in-house teams of PPC experts can benefit from outsourcing because it allows them to tap into a wider talent pool.
You can work with a PPC advertising agency to fill knowledge gaps or help you manage projects without wasting time scouring LinkedIn and Indeed to find a PPC expert for your team. Outsourcing your PPC services gives you access to professionals with diverse backgrounds and skill sets, making finding the right fit for your company’s needs easier.
Outsourcing can also be more cost-effective than hiring in-house staff, as you won’t have to pay for benefits, training, and other costs that can quickly add.
Marketing agency owners/directors
Marketing agency owners who want to support their customers with PPC marketing but don’t want the overhead of in-house marketing teams can benefit from working with a white-label PPC provider because it allows them to offer a wider range of services to their clients without expanding their staff.
You can use PPC outsourcing services to expand your offerings for potential customers and run effective campaigns for current clients at a fraction of the cost of hiring an in-house team. Outsourcing can help agencies stay competitive by offering specialized PPC expertise that may be difficult to find in-house.
Should you handle PPC in-house or outsource?
Deciding whether to handle your PPC marketing in-house or outsource can be tough. Both approaches have pros and cons, and the right choice for you depends on your business’s unique needs and circumstances.
Ultimately, the key is carefully evaluating your options and choosing the best approach to your business goals and budget.
Let’s look at a few questions and tips you should consider when deciding between outsourcing your PPC services or building an in-house team to handle your digital marketing needs.
Do you already have in-house PPC skills?
One of the first things you need to consider when outsourcing PPC is if you have the expertise and needed team members already in-house to handle your PPC marketing needs.
The decision to outsource depends on a few factors, such as the size of your team, the complexity of your campaigns, and your goals for growth.
Outsourcing can be a great way to free up time and resources for other projects if you have a small team with limited bandwidth.
Additionally, outsourcing can bring fresh perspectives and insights that can help optimize your campaigns for better results.
However, you may not need to outsource if you have a larger team with a depth of PPC expertise. Instead, consider investing in ongoing training and development to keep your team up to date with the latest trends and best practices.
To determine whether outsourcing is right for you, evaluate your current team’s strengths and weaknesses, assess your business goals, and consider the benefits and costs of outsourcing.
Actionable tip: Conduct a cost-benefit analysis to compare the costs of outsourcing PPC marketing and the benefits it could bring your business. This will help you make an informed decision about whether to outsource or keep your PPC marketing in-house.
Do you need to set up new campaigns from scratch?
As you decide whether or not to outsource your PPC marketing needs, one important factor to consider is whether or not you need to set up new campaigns from scratch.
Suppose you’re starting from scratch and have no experience with PPC advertising. Outsourcing can be an intelligent choice because different platforms require you to consider different factors when setting up a new campaign.
PPC providers have the tools and expertise to create effective campaigns and responsive search ads in Google to reach your target audience and generate leads and conversions.
Actionable tip: Take a closer look at your current campaigns to understand if you need to outsource your PPC marketing campaigns. You may need to run an in-depth PPC audit onsider the time and resources required to manage your campaigns in-house versus outsourcing if you decide to outsource, research, and choose a provider with industry experience and a track record of success.
Should you hire an in-house PPC team?
Whether to hire an in-house PPC team or outsource your PPC marketing needs is a big decision that depends on various factors.
If you have a large budget and can afford to hire and train a dedicated PPC team, in-house may be the way to go. However, outsourcing may be a better option if you have limited resources because you won’t incur the overhead associated with building, training, and retaining an in-house team.
To determine which route is best for you, consider your budget, goals, and your team’s existing skill set. If you’re unsure where to start, consider working with a PPC outsourcing provider on trial to see if the partnership is a good fit.
Actionable tip: Take some time before deciding on whether to hire an in-house PPC team or outsource your PPC marketing needs. Evaluate your budget and goals to determine what business strategy meets your needs and supports your clients.
What is your marketing budget?
When it comes to outsourcing your PPC marketing needs, one of the most important factors to consider is your marketing budget. If you have limited resources, outsourcing can be a cost-effective solution that allows you to get more value for your money. However, managing your PPC campaigns in-house may make more sense if you have a larger budget and a team with the necessary skills and experience.
Review your marketing budget, margins, and bandwidth to determine if outsourcing is the right choice for your business. Then, consider the level of expertise and resources you have in-house for managing PPC campaigns. Outsourcing may be the best option if you don’t have the necessary skills or time to manage campaigns effectively.
Finally, do your research and compare different PPC outsourcing providers to find the one that best fits your needs and budget. Look for providers that offer transparent pricing and reporting, have a proven track record of success, and are willing to work closely with you to achieve your business goals.
Actionable tip: Take some time to review your marketing budget and in-house resources, and consider whether outsourcing PPC marketing is a cost-effective solution for your business. If you are worried about margins or ROI, then you may want to consider outsourcing your PPC marketing services to a PPC expert to keep your margins as high as possible.
Can your team take on more PPC marketing tasks?
When choosing what direction to go, one key aspect is whether your in-house team (assuming you have one) can take on more PPC marketing projects for your business or your clients. Be sure to partner with a PPC expert who knows how to use AI to optimize Google Ads, so you can get the best results for your marketing budget.
Ask yourself: does your team have the capacity to manage your PPC campaigns effectively in-house? Do you have the necessary expertise to keep up with the latest trends and strategies? If the answer is no, outsourcing may be your right choice.
Outsourcing your PPC marketing can free up your team’s time and energy, allowing you to focus on other important tasks and initiatives. It can also give you access to specialized expertise and tools that can help you achieve better results.
Actionable tip: Look for a reputable PPC outsourcing provider that aligns with your needs and has a proven track record of success. With the right outsourcing partner, you can take your PPC campaigns to the next level and achieve greater success in your online advertising efforts.
What are some benefits of outsourcing PPC services
Now that we have looked at PPC outsourcing and some factors to consider if it is right for you, let’s look at some benefits you can enjoy when you outsource your PPC marketing needs.
More cost-effective campaigns
One of the most obvious benefits of outsourcing your PPC marketing is that it can help you run more cost-effective campaigns.
This is because you won’t have to hire in-house PPC Specialists who will reduce your overhead (and liability), plus you can get the same great service at a fraction of the cost of an in-house employee.
As a result, you can run more efficient and effective PPC ads for your business without worrying about wasted ad spend or missed opportunities. You can also use outsourced PPC marketing services to reduce your overhead and lift your margins if you offer PPC services to your clients.
To maximize the cost-effectiveness of your campaigns, it’s essential to choose an outsourced PPC provider that has a track record of success, transparent pricing, and a clear understanding of your business goals and target audience.
Communicate your budget and ROI expectations upfront, and work closely with your provider to track and analyze campaign performance regularly. With the right approach, outsourcing your PPC marketing can help you achieve better results while staying within your budget.
PPC specialists with the experience you need
A great benefit of outsourcing to a PPC service provider is gaining access to specialists with lots of PPC marketing experience.
When you work with a reputable outsourcing provider, you’ll work with a team of professionals with extensive knowledge and experience in PPC advertising.
An outsource PPC agency will become your partner to work on your campaigns for maximum ROI, which can help you achieve your business goals more efficiently. Outsourcing your PPC marketing needs can help you get the most out of your advertising budget and achieve better results than you could.
Another benefit of utilizing a PPC service provider for your PPC marketing needs is that it can save you a lot of time. There’s no two ways around it- if you use Google Ads for small business, then you can get overwhelmed with the settings and options available in Google Ads. If you are a small business owner, this means you won’t waste time learning how to manage a PPC account so you can focus on your business.
If you are a marketing director or run a marketing agency, you will save time because you won’t have to find, hire, and manage additional in-house team members. Just think of the freedom and flexibility you will enjoy by outsourcing your PPC management needs to a PPC expert instead of managing an in-house team.
Avoid beginner mistakes
One of the worst things about hiring an in-house PPC Specialist is that you never know how knowledgeable that person is until they begin working on your accounts.
Beginner mistakes can have a big impact on your entire campaign, and a lack of knowledge can result in lost revenue or wasted ad spending.
A PPC service provider will have valuable insights and recommendations for optimizing your campaigns, such as keyword research, ad targeting, and bid management. They can also help you stay up-to-date with the latest PPC trends and strategies, ensuring that your campaigns are effective and efficient.
Don’t let beginner mistakes derail your PPC marketing efforts or put your client portfolio at risk with simple oversights or mistakes that new PPC Specialists often make. Outsource to a qualified PPC agency and enjoy the benefits of expert guidance and support.
Get faster results
PPC marketing campaigns must be built and optimized to deliver as much value quickly as possible. Since you spend money each time someone clicks and engages with your ads, you need to build a system that returns as much value for the ad spend as quickly as possible.
PPC outsourcing providers have the tools and expertise to optimize your campaigns quickly and effectively, which can result in more clicks, conversions, and revenue for your business.
By outsourcing your PPC needs, you’ll be able to take advantage of the latest trends and best practices in the industry without spending time and resources on training and experimentation.
What are some cons of PPC outsourcing?
While there are many benefits to outsourcing your PPC marketing needs, it’s essential to consider the potential drawbacks as well. Many business leaders move away from outsourcing their PPC needs because they worry about how this choice can impact their business operations.
Outsourcing isn’t always the right choice for every business, and there are some potential cons that you should be aware of before making a decision.
In this section, we’ll explore some potential downsides of PPC outsourcing so you can make an informed decision for your business.
It can be difficult to choose a PPC outsourcing agency
While PPC outsourcing can offer many benefits, it’s essential to acknowledge that there are also some potential downsides to be aware of. For example, choosing a PPC outsourcing agency that meets your specific needs and expectations can be challenging.
There are many providers to choose from, and not all are equal in quality, pricing, and customer service.
Some business owners, marketing directors, and marketing agency owners shy away from PPC outsourcing because they don’t know what to look for when choosing an agency.
While there are many factors to consider, here are some of our recommendations to look for as you outsource your PPC marketing to an agency:
- Experience and expertise: Look for a provider with a proven track record of success in managing PPC campaigns. Consider their years of experience, industry certifications, and client testimonials to assess their level of expertise.
- Transparency and reporting: Choose an agency that provides transparent pricing and regular reporting on campaign performance with automated PPC reporting tools to make the process easier for you. This will help you stay informed and make data-driven decisions about your marketing strategy.
- Communication and collaboration: Make sure the agency has a clear communication process and is willing to work collaboratively with you to achieve your marketing goals. This includes regular meetings, open lines of communication, and a willingness to listen to your feedback.
- Customization and flexibility: Look for an agency that can tailor their services to meet your needs and budget. They should be willing to work with you to create a customized PPC strategy that aligns with your business objectives.
- Customer service and support: Choose an agency that offers responsive customer service and support. This includes timely responses to your inquiries, proactive communication about campaign updates, and a willingness to go above and beyond to ensure your satisfaction.
They won’t understand my business.
One common concern when outsourcing PPC marketing is the fear that the service provider won’t fully understand your business or industry.
As a small business owner, marketing director, or marketing agency owner, you may worry that an external provider will only be able to capture the unique aspects of your brand or target audience.
While the risk that a PPC agency won’t understand your business or the business of your clients, you can use a few tips to find a good agency for your PPC marketing needs:
- Choose a provider that specializes in your industry: Look for a PPC outsourcing provider with expertise or who has worked with businesses with similar needs to yours. You can ask for case studies or references to understand their track record better. If you’re working with a marketing agency, ensure they have a dedicated PPC team or partner with a reliable PPC provider they trust.
- Review case studies & testimonials: Review case studies and testimonials from the provider’s website or other sources to see how they have helped businesses in your industry. Ask for references to speak with their clients directly to gain more insights about their experience with the provider.
- Nail down the onboarding process: Provide clear instructions and specifications to the provider to ensure they fully understand your business, goals, and target audience. Share information about your products or services, competitive landscape, and unique selling points that can help the provider create effective ad campaigns.
- Consider starting with smaller projects: A small project or test campaign can help you assess the provider’s capabilities and compatibility with your business. This approach can also allow you to test different providers before committing long-term. This is a great time to see if the agency knows advanced tips for Google Ads and other platforms to help drive conversions for your business.
You may experience communication issues.
Regarding outsourcing PPC marketing, one potential downside is communication issues.
Because the outsourcing provider may be located in a different time zone or country, it can be difficult to coordinate meetings and updates. However, you can take steps to address and overcome these concerns.
- Clearly define your goals and expectations upfront: Before outsourcing your PPC marketing, ensure you clearly understand what you want to achieve. Outline your goals and expectations, and communicate them clearly to your outsourcing provider. This will help ensure everyone is on the same page and working towards the same objectives.
- Establish a regular meeting schedule: To stay on top of your PPC campaigns, it’s important to establish regular check-ins with your outsourcing provider. This could include weekly or bi-weekly meetings to discuss progress, updates, and any issues. You should also set up a regular PPC report to ensure that you have a clear understanding of how your campaigns are performing.
- Utilize project management tools and communication platforms: To make communication and collaboration as smooth as possible, consider using project management tools and communication platforms. Various tools, such as Trello, Asana, and Slack, can help you stay organized, communicate effectively, and track progress.
- Introduce your team: Be sure to introduce your PPC agency to each team member they will work with. For example, introduce the agency to your design or website team so the agency knows who to contact for specific items. This can streamline communication across the team.
Your team loses some control
An inherent factor you need to consider as you outsource your PPC marketing to an agency is that you will lose control over the accounts. This can be nerve-wracking for some business owners and marketers who are used to having complete control over their campaigns.
Here are some tips to consider to help you manage control over the campaigns as you look to outsource your PPC marketing:
- Set specific goals and KPIs for your PPC campaigns: Clearly define what you want to achieve with your PPC advertising, and establish key performance indicators (KPIs) to measure success. Share these goals and KPIs with your provider, and regularly review progress to ensure you’re on track to meet your objectives. By setting clear expectations upfront, you’ll better understand what your provider is doing and how it’s impacting your campaigns.
- Regularly review and analyze your campaigns’ performance with your provider: Schedule regular check-ins to review campaign performance and discuss any concerns or issues. Use this time to ask questions, provide feedback, and adjust as needed. This will help you stay informed about your campaigns and ensure that you’re making data-driven decisions.
- Choose a provider that values transparency and collaboration: When selecting a PPC outsourcing provider, look for one that values transparency and collaboration. Choose a provider willing to work with you to develop a customized strategy and regularly shares reports and updates on campaign performance. This will help you maintain control and feel confident that your campaigns are in good hands.
- Establish clear lines of communication & regular check-ins: Communication is key to a successful outsourcing relationship. Establish clear lines of communication upfront and maintain regular check-ins to ensure you’re on the same page. Set expectations for how often you’ll meet, what you’ll discuss, and how you’ll share information. This will help you stay informed and involved in the PPC outsourcing process.
- Set guidelines for edits: When you start working with a PPC agency, it might be a good idea to require them to get your approval before they make changes to the accounts. This will give you peace of mind that the agency understands the goals and give you extra oversight on what happens in the account. Once you feel comfortable, you can give them the green light to make changes without your approval.
You may worry about security risks
You may worry about security risks when outsourcing your PPC marketing needs. After all, you’ll share sensitive information about your business, including financial data, with an external provider.
While it’s true that there are risks associated with outsourcing, there are steps you can take to mitigate those risks.
- Limit access to sensitive data: Only provide your PPC agency the access they need to manage your campaigns. For example, give them editor-level access to your advertising accounts rather than admin-level access, giving them control over other areas of your account.
- Require an NDA: Have your PPC agency sign a non-disclosure agreement (NDA) that outlines the confidentiality and security of your data. This ensures that they take appropriate measures to protect your data and limits their ability to share it with others.
- Conduct background checks: Conduct thorough background checks on the individuals working on your account before hiring a PPC agency. This can include reviewing their experience, references, and past work to ensure that they’re trustworthy and experienced.
- Monitor account activity: Regularly monitor the activity in your advertising accounts to ensure no unauthorized access or unusual activity. This can help you detect any potential security breaches early on and take appropriate action.
What PPC outsourcing rates should you consider?
As discussed in a previous section, one of the most significant benefits of PPC outsourcing is that you can get excellent service at a lower cost than hiring an in-house PPC Specialist. But one of the most common questions that come up with PPC outsourcing services is what you should expect to pay for this type of marketing support.
Let’s look at the most common types of PPC outsourcing rates, so you can decide when selecting a provider for your PPC marketing needs.
Hourly pricing model
Regarding pricing models for PPC outsourcing, one option is an hourly rate. With this model, you pay the outsourcing provider based on the number of hours they spend working on your campaigns. The benefits of this model are that you only pay for the time and services you need, which can be more cost effective for businesses with smaller budgets or short-term needs.
However, a potential drawback is that hourly rates may not provide as much transparency as other models, as you may need to know precisely how many hours are spent on your campaigns.
Additionally, if the provider is not efficient or transparent in their reporting, it could result in higher costs for you.
Flat management fee
If you’re considering outsourcing your PPC marketing needs, you’ll likely come across different pricing models from providers. One standard model is flat management fee pricing, where you pay a fixed amount to the provider for managing your PPC campaigns.
The benefit of this pricing model is that it provides predictability and transparency, as you know exactly how much you’ll be paying for the service upfront. It also incentivizes the provider to optimize your campaigns for better results, as they will earn less money by spending more of your budget.
However, one potential downside of this model is that it may not be suitable for businesses with varying PPC ad spends or those who need more customized solutions. Additionally, some providers may charge hidden fees, so clarifying what’s included in the flat management fee is essential.
Be sure to weigh the pros and cons and compare different pricing models before selecting a PPC outsourcing provider.
Percentage of ad spend
One popular pricing model for PPC outsourcing is the percentage of ad spend model. With this model, you pay your PPC outsourcing provider a percentage of your ad spend as their fee. For example, if you spend $10,000 on PPC ads and your outsourcing provider charges 15%, you’ll pay them $1,500.
One benefit of this model is that it aligns your interests with your outsourcing providers. They are incentivized to help you get the most value from your ad spend, as their fee is tied to it. Additionally, this model can be cost-effective for businesses with lower ad spend, as you won’t have to pay high monthly retainers.
However, one downside of this model is that it can be challenging to budget for, as your fees fluctuate based on your ad spend. Additionally, some outsourcing providers may prioritize ad spend over performance, leading to higher fees without necessarily delivering better results. As with any pricing model, it’s essential to choose a provider you trust and who is transparent about their fees and performance metrics.
One pricing model for PPC outsourcing that you may come across is performance-based pricing. With this model, you only pay your PPC outsourcing provider when they achieve specific performance targets, such as generating a certain number of clicks or conversions. This can be a cost-effective way to ensure you get value for your money, as you only pay for results.
However, it’s important to note that performance-based pricing can be risky for both parties, as it incentivizes the provider to focus on short-term gains rather than long-term growth.
Additionally, some providers may inflate their results to meet performance targets, so it’s important to choose a provider you can trust.
PPC outsourcing can be a valuable tool for small business owners, marketing directors, and marketing agency owners who want to improve their PPC marketing campaigns.
By working with experienced professionals up-to-date on the latest PPC trends and strategies, you can optimize your campaigns for maximum ROI and save time and money.
Whether you want to expand your services, scale your campaigns, or get better results from your advertising efforts, PPC outsourcing can help you achieve your goals.
Be sure to research and choose a provider that aligns with your business goals and values, and don’t be afraid to ask questions to ensure you’re getting the most out of your investment.
Are you looking for expert PPC management? StrategyBeam is your solution! Our team of certified professionals provides affordable, results-driven campaigns for businesses of all sizes. Contact us today to learn more.
Outsourcing PPC FAQs